Last night we had to move off of our work location due to weather. I thought I had anchoring down pretty well in the Coast Guard but have learned that I am a novice compared to other Captains who have been handling four anchors at a time for many years. Last night we picked up three of our anchors and are riding our port bow anchor as the weather is preventing work. We have winds out of the North East at 25 knots gusts to 30 and 8 to 10 foot seas - which is not too bad. However, When you factor in the water depth of 100 meters (328 ft) and the core sampling of 500 feet, the length of drill pipe adds up quickly. Last night we were 11 meters off of our location with 700 ft of drill pipe down and had to pull pipe back onto our work deck or risk bending the pipe and/or damaging the equipment. Now we are at anchor and riding nicely with our bow into the seas, waiting on the weather to cooperate which is a humbling experience as out here you realize quickly that you are always in the hands of Mother Nature or King Neptune if you prefer.
I miss everyone at home especially Katie, Julia and Hayden and can't wait to get back home in June and be with my family at our camp (Solitude) in St. Francisville, Louisiana where I have been going since I was a child and which holds special memories.